Thanks for visiting! Would really appreciate you leaving a comment just to let me know stopped by.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

What's For Breakfast?

I had someone ask me yesterday about what to feed their kids for breakfast that would be healthy and nutritious.

Let me start off by saying this...I am not a registered dietician or a nutritionist. I'm just a mom who has embarked on this journey to a more healthy lifestyle. It has taken me a little over 43 years to get here. If you are younger than that...congrats on deciding to make the change early. If you are older than that...it's NEVER too late!

With that being said, there is nothing wrong with giving your kids cereal for breakfast. Just read the label...stay away from sugary cereals. You are not doing your kids any favors by feeding them those type of cereals.

You want to look for whole grain type cereals with at least 5g fiber per serving. We usually keep the following two boxes of cereals in our house -
Special K - Cinnamon Pecan and Quaker Cinnamon Oatmeal Squares. As you can see, yes we like cinnamon. The Special K acutally has less fiber and protein. The Quaker Oatmeal Squares have 5g fiber and 6g protein.

If your kids like oatmeal, that's a great easy breakfast to serve. Just add 1/4 cup of fruit and your set. Kashi is a great oatmeal choice. Right now, I have Village Farm Whole Grain Oatmeal in my pantry. I add about 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries to round it out. You can check out the nutritional value here.

If your family are big egg eaters, consider using the egg whites only. You still get a great amount of protein without the cholesterol and added fat. If you are unsure about using egg whites because you think it might not have the yellow color...try using 2 egg whites and one whole egg.

I have included some great egg recipes under Dish of the Day on the right hand side.
The Egg bites are great for families on the go or for kids because they can eat them with their hands.

One more thing before I go. I have been guilty of this in the past. When I was younger and I worked full time and my kids were in daycare, I was sooo rushed in the morning. My kids were lucky to get a powdered donut for breakfast when they got to daycare. Do not do this....I repeat....Do NOT DO THIS! Make the time...get up early, fix breakfast or part of it the night before.

I'm not saying that you can't ever give your kids donuts for breakfast....Just limit when you do it...maybe you do it on Saturday mornings as a special treat, follow up with some kind of fruit. Also, limit it to one donut. Don't let them eat them until they make themselves sick.

Well, gotta go. Hope this has given some of you some new ideas. Keep those questions coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment