Thanks for visiting! Would really appreciate you leaving a comment just to let me know stopped by.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What's on My Mind

So, I woke up this morning struggling about what I wanted to post this morning. I'm just going to say what is on my mind right at this moment.

Not everyday is going to be a great day. You just have to accept it. There will be ups and downs, wonderful days and sucky days, days you feel you can take on the world and days that you just feel defeated. It's all in how we deal with those less than perfect days that count. Do you turn to food? I know in the past, that was part of my problem. When I felt that I was being caught beneath an avalanche of stress and problems, I turned to food....whatever was in the house at the time; cookies, brownies, ice cream, potato chips - I mean anything. You know its bad when you seek out the chocolate can of frosting and after eating half way through the can, you try and hide it - 1. so no one else will get into it and 2. so no one will know your secret. It's a vicious cycle. Feel bad; eat(need that instant gratification); then feel even worse for eating what you just ate.

So now, I still have those days when I feel that everything in the world is wrong, when stress and pressure build up making me want to scream. But now I know that eating junk doesn't make the problems go away, or even make them better. In fact, it just adds to the problem and would make me feel guilty and depressed. When I have a less than perfect day, I now turn to exercise. It gets my hear rate up, it makes me feel stronger, it makes me feel more in control of me. I am in control of how I react to stress...I make the choices. Food is no longer in control...fear is no longer in control. Is there temptations to turn to food....sure! There are still sweets in my pantry along with the chips (sorry, but the frosting had to go), there is ice cream in the freezer. But, I am in control of the choices I make.

I told my family and others, one thing I would really like to have at home....a punching bag. I think it would be great exercise and a great way to let out built up stress and frustrations. Hmmm... I might just have to check in to getting one....SOON! (if you have teenagers, you can relate - and if your kids are still small, sorry, but whatever you are going through is nothing compared to the teenage years so brace yourself now!)

One more thing, I am taking another step outside of my comfort zone by going to meet with a personal trainer tomorrow. I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. There are some goals that I have set for myself and I think by doing this, it will help me reach them. I want to run a 5K. This would be a really big deal for me because I have never been able to run. So, I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Happy Tuesday. Don't let food and fear control you!

No comments:

Post a Comment