Thanks for visiting! Would really appreciate you leaving a comment just to let me know stopped by.

Friday, July 2, 2010

My Incredible Shrinking Closet

Each morning is always the same. I open the closet door, walk in, and stare at the clothes that are hanging there.

It reminds me of my kids opening the refrigerator door, looking around and closing it deciding there was nothing in there they wanted to eat - only to open it five minutes later to look again,as they hear me shout from another room, "It's not magic! New food doesn't appear every time you close the door!"

That's how I feel about my closet - hoping that each day I look in there, new clothes will magically appear. It hasn't happened yet....and unless my fairy godmother somehow shows up out of nowhere, I don't think new clothes will just materialize.

So, what does one do when, not only are the size of your clothes are shrinking, but the amount of clothes you have to choose from are also shrinking?

If you are still in the weight loss process, it is hard to justify going out and spending gobs of money on new clothes, just to have them become too big in a month or two. An unless you are a seamstress, taking your clothes in for alterations can also be costly.

For me, the solution was to buy second hand. I am fortunate to have a Goodwill store close by. I know some of you are saying, "yuck". But it works. The Goodwill store here has .99 cent days on Wednesdays and Sundays. I will usually go and pick up one or two things here or there. For $1.00, I can afford to replace clothes as I continue to slide on down the scale. I have bought jeans, nice work blouses, dress capris, T-shirts, and skirts. Matter of fact, most of the clothes I now have are Goodwill purchases.

Clothes that are outgrown are either given back to Goodwill, or given to someone else. My hope is to find a women's shelter where I can donate the clothes.

You don't have to go around cinching up your britches, or wearing clothes that just drape you. If you can't find a Goodwill in your area, try finding other thrift, second hand, or consignment shops in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment