Thanks for visiting! Would really appreciate you leaving a comment just to let me know stopped by.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Routines and an Update

I am a routine kind of person. I have always been. I like routines and lists. I will make a list for everything, from grocery shopping to cleaning, from dinner menus to bill paying. My husband has even made fun of me for this habit...but hey, its what works for me.

My eating and exercising really is no different. I try and make a plan for each day. If you have followed my food log on the side bar, you have probably noticed by now that my breakfast and first snack are usually the same everyday, oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast and a banana for snack. It's what I like and I don't get bored with it. When I get up, I don't even have to think about it, its just automatic.

I try and eat during the day around the same time each day...it just seems to help me stay on track. Like I said before, its not even something I think about now, it is just done as a habit (a good habit).

Exercise is almost the same way...but I do change it around a bit. I try to get it in before work, during lunch break (if I don't have errands to run), and again at home after work.

I love routines. Did I already say that? Having a routine helps me stay focused on whatever task is at hand.

People are different. I know some that like to fly by the seat of their pants, and that works for them. What works for one person may not necessarily be the best way for the other. You just gotta find your own pace.

Now for an update....Yesterday, I was one pooped puppy. I thought I was tired the day before riding in a car for 12 hours, 800 miles, 3 kids and 1 husband (who would only stop twice..Grrr). But it really must have caught up with me yesterday. I did five loads of laundry and got them all put away except one.

Because I committed to start my 5K training yesterday (see earlier post), I went to the gym and the family tagged along. They went to the pool while I stayed inside and proceeded with my workout.

The first day of week one indicates warm up by walking briskly for 5 min. Then you are to alternate run for 60 sec and then walk for 90 sec. You do the alternating for 20 minutes. That went great...no problem! Yay!

After that, I was eyeing those dastardly eliptical machines (The Machines of Death). "Hmmm", I thought. "There is no one else in here, I'll give it another chance."

I figured, why not. I'm already sweaty. If anyone comes along, it'll look like I've been on this thing for awhile! (Yeah, I know..deception, not my proudest moment). Anyway, I climbed on and got it started moving. Looked at the direction for the arms. Did I want my arms to push or to pull. Decisions, decisions. I think I must have been thinking on that way too long. Oh heck, just push the button already! Now, I don't even remember what I chose. So off I go! Still on level one...but I'm doing it. I decide to just shoot for 5 minutes. I didn't seem as difficult this go around as the first time. But 5 minutes was enough for me. When I looked at the display at the end of my 5 minutes....I had burned 14 calories. 14 CALORIES...are you kidding me...was that all? . SIGH. I WILL do better next time. Yes, I said next time. I will master that eliptical machine...I am now on a mission!

After that, I did go and do a little strength training...arms and legs.
Then enjoyed sitting out by the pool with my husband while we watched the kids play in the pool.

At home, hubby cooked dinner. I was the last one to finish eating and it was all I could do to keep my head from falling onto my plate. I was going to try and get 5 miles of biking in....but opted to go to bed instead. I was instantly asleep when my head hit the pillow. Ahhhh....

No comments:

Post a Comment